Designer Spotlight: Burberry
Posted on 15 May 2018
In honor of the royal wedding this Saturday, we wanted to highlight one of our favorite British designers, Burberry.
Thomas Burberry was born in 1835 and worked as an apprentice draper before revolutionizing the fashion world through Burberry in 1856, at just age 21. Thomas, who likely had no realization of how influential the brand would become, initially specialized in outdoor clothing.
It did not take long for Thomas to disrupt the fashion industry and with the invention of gabardine in 1879, the innovative new designer was on to something. The new fabric was breathable, comfortable and waterproof making it perfect for trench coats — which later became an iconic Burberry piece.
In early 1900s England, the trench coat quickly became a staple for the military. Additionally, Sir Ernest Shackleton, a renowned polar explorer, wore Burberry gabardine for three of his expeditions.
In 2016, Academy Award-winning filmmaker, Asif Kapadia and Academy Award nominee, Matt Charman worked together to releaseThe Tale of Thomas Burberry, a short film that chronicles the humble beginnings of the simple man behind the world-renowned brand.
Today, Burberry has hundreds of stores across the world including North America, South America, Asia, and Europe.
Most recently, Burberry shot its FW '18 line in Ghana with model, Adwoa Aboah, who is half-Ghanaian.
Credit: Juergen Teller
Our Top Picks from Burberry
- A single-breasted trench coat made from tumbled tropical ever-reliable garment, gabardine. The relaxed style is cut with high side slits to reveal a vintage check cotton lining the brand is so well-known for.
- Why we love it?: Pale pastel tones are all over the runways this season. This trench coat's antique dusty pink color fits in perfectly.
- You can't go wrong with this wool-silk scarf in the brand's classic check print – first used in the 1960s. The Italian-made staple piece can be worn with any outfit to either dress up or dress down your look.
- Why we love it?: It's an iconic piece everyone should have in their closets.
- This lightweight foundation gives you a flawlessly dewy look so you can put your best face forward.
- Why we love it?: The mirror-flat reflection pearls not only enhance the skin's luminosity, but also give an airbrushed effect.
- Mixing the time-honored vintage check on the arms with a modern cat-eye and gold trim design, this style perfectly balances the classic British heritage with a new and exciting twist.
- Burberry sunglasses reflect the timelessness, craft and innovation of signature Burberry design while being lightweight and comfortable.
- All of their frames are updated with premium quality lenses that provide 100% UV protection and can be used for all occasions. Arriving in the original protective Burberry case and microfiber cleaning cloth, their shades are perfect for gifting or keeping for yourself.